Friday, June 19, 2009

Australia can defent Ashes, says Waugh

Australia are capable of retaining the Ashes against England despite losing in the opening round of the ongoing World Twenty20 championship, legendary captain Steve Waugh said here on Friday.

"As for Australia, they may not be invincible any more, but winning a series like the upcoming Ashes won't be difficult for them," the former Australian captain said at a function for his charity foundation.

The first Ashes Test starts in Cardiff on July 8.

Like Australia, defending champions India also failed to make it to the World Twenty20 semi-finals after losing their Super Eights matches against hosts England, the West Indies and South Africa.

"Twenty20 is exciting and has given the game new shots, but I am not surprised that India and Australia are out of the ongoing championship because any team can lose in this format," said Waugh.

The Australian, who quit international cricket in 2004 with 10,927 runs in 168 Tests, denied he was one of the candidates to replace John Buchanan as Kolkata Knight Riders coach in the Indian Premier League (IPL).

"I am not giving a thought to coaching in this form of the game for Kolkata Knight Riders or for any other team. I wonder where all the stories about me joining them come from," said Waugh.

"I would consider coaching only if I were willing to give my 100 percent to it. But as of now, I am busy with my foundation."

Former Australian coach Buchanan was sacked Thursday after the Kolkata team's dismal performance in the recent IPL in South Africa, where they finished last in the eight-team competition.

Waugh set up the Steve Waugh Foundation after his retirement. The organisation aims to help disadvantaged, disabled and ill children and young people.

No comments: